When do I need an EPC?

If you are about to place a property on the market, you will first need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). If you are a Landlord and you are about to rent out a property then you will also need an EPC. If you are a home owner and you are wanting to fit Solar Panels to your building, you may need an EPC (and afterwards a second visit).

What is Included in an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a domestic property will contain information on your home's energy use and carbon dioxide emissions. It will also contain a recommendation report with suggestions to reduce energy use and carbon dioxide emissions.

EPCs carry ratings that compare the current energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions with potential figures that your home could achieve. Potential figures are calculated by estimating what the energy efficiency and carbon dioxide emissions would be if energy saving measures were to be put in place. The rating measures the energy and carbon emission efficiency of your home, using a grade from ‘A’ down to ‘G’. An ‘A’ rating is the most efficient, while ‘G’ is the least efficient. All homes are measured using the same calculations, so you can compare the energy efficiency of different properties.

The detailed recommendation report shows what you could do to help reduce the amount of energy you use and your carbon dioxide emissions. The report lists suggested improvements, like fitting loft insulation, and gives the possible cost savings per year, if the improvements are made. It also shows how the recommendations would change the energy and carbon emission rating of the property.

Procedure. The energy survey needed to produce an EPC is performed by our assessor who visits the property, examines key items such as loft insulation, domestic boiler, hot water tank, radiators, windows for double glazing, and so on